Thursday, July 11, 2013

En plein air on July 11

Kemp National Resources Station Woodruff, Wisconsin

Kemp Station Boat House on Lake Tomahawk...continuous line drawing 3.5x 8

Slightly different view of same boat house...unfinished 10 x 11" on Arches 140#

I can't remember a nicer weather day to be outside in the North Woods!  Wow.  Kemps is about 30 minutes from us on Lake Tomahawk in Woodruff, WI and you get to it on a 2.5 mile winding road through the American Legion Forest.

It is one of THE prettiest wooded roads around winding through thick gorgeous tall forests.  I saw 5 deer (one a speckled fawn)on the drive down.  The lakefront is gorgeous and has many lovely log cabin structures with stone foundations.  But we all congregated around the boat house and did various point of view on it or surrounding lake and forest.  One person did an abstract of the "feeling of the forest" in acrylic!  Four worked in oil and I was the only watercolorist I think.  Joan where were you????

Mosquitoes were not "too" bad.  I did spray up before starting and did wear long sleeves and long pants and socks.  I know how to dress for the woods!  We all went to Hoggie Doggie's for lunch and a critique and fun art discussion.  Sue took a nice photo of some of the art to put on the Outdoor painters blog.  Definitely a great spot to paint. 

My small sketch went fine...the larger painting needs more work...darker darks for sure...more interesting shadow work.  I may post it again.  





No comments:

Post a Comment