Friday, April 8, 2016

Journal Prompt 14: Shadows


I think the prompt writer was trying to get at people taking a look at their "darker" side.  She called it their "shadow" side.  I had some trouble thinking exactly how to pursue this.

Optimism and faith and light put shadows and shadow feelings "behind" you and while I don't think there is anything that completely eliminates this in our lives…we have choices.  I choose to face forward.  

I used to teach a whole unit on "shadows" when I taught kindergarten.  I did it around Valentine's day because so many valentines classically included "silhouettes".  (Did you know that there is a person named Mr.  Silhouette and that's where they get their name?)  Look it up.

Anyway my feelings about shadows are scientific, artistic, and amusing.  I think of Peter Pan and I think of Robert Louis Stevenson's wonderful poem…remember…"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me…And what can be the use of him is more than I can see…."

So focusing on my darker side using the shadow metaphor really didn't work.  Maybe by the time you get to be my age, you have "resolved" this paradox in life somewhat?   Thoughts?



No comments:

Post a Comment