Thursday, January 24, 2013

30 Day Challenge Day 23: Watercolor

Morning Light
This is a quarter sheet watercolor on Arches 140 # cold press.  Mostly Winsor Newton watercolors.  The photo is a photo reference from Wet Canvas.  (online artist source of photos).

It's been a while since I've done a watercolor other than a sketch and it felt so fine to get back into washes again.  It was a challenging piece with the shiny surfaces and the reflections and the shadows.

Although I am submitting it the challenge as finished I probably will tweak it a bit more.  But it's at the stage where you set it aside for awhile and then come back to it.  I'd like Barb Sailor and Deb Ward to look at it and make suggestions.  

Beautiful Florida weather right now and I am off on an all day bus trip tomorrow to Solomon's Castle in Ona, Florida.  Should be a great photo shoot.  I don't think I'll try to carry a sketch book but I might take a small moleskin and possible get in a small one at lunch time.  If you google Solomon's Castle you will see it is a funky place to visit!!!  More on that later!

2 comments:

  1. totally charming. Enjoy Solomon's Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny - my suggestion would be to add a bit more "oomph" to the shadows in the colander on the right, a touch more shadow under the colander and just a bit on the left of the utensil jar. That's just my 2 cents worth!

    ReplyDelete