Friday, January 4, 2013

30 Day Challenge Day 3

This is acrylic on canvas board 11 x 15"
Done from a photo I took over on Siesta Key a few years ago.  

Everyone in FL paints coconuts.  We LOVE coconuts here.  Hahaha.  So I decided to go sort of funky by priming the canvas with all kinds of abstract images first.  I even used some molding paste which doesn't really show up in this photo.  The result sort of looks like a night-time image under a moon.  Not really what I was aiming for...but this was one of those "let it all just happen" paintings. I think I'd like to fuss with it some day...add some more highlights...it's really a pretty dark painting.  But for now...it's day 3.

I am thinking of going back to Zentangles for tomorrow briefly...and then may get out my sketch book and watercolors for a few days.  I like the idea of slipping back and forth in the mediums I enjoy most depending on time and mood.  My studio looks busy and very used!  

We are having a rainy few days here in central FL...not good for en plein air sketching...so I'll be relying on photo references or still life for awhile.  

It's been so fun getting comments from new blogger friends/artist and to see what others are doing.  I have to smile at the plethora of fruit paintings going on.   They are simple and have wonderful colors and shapes and will stand still for you!  I love them too....apples, cherries, pomegranates, pears, etc.  And I jumped right in with my clementines the first day!   I guess coconuts is in that theme too!  

3 comments:

  1. I'm from Florida and I love coconut trees, and your painting is as you say funky and I love how you made it a bit abstract and cool all the way around. This painting is perfect the way it is. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Ginny - your colors and the strong design keep my heart pumping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice painting, Ginny. I enjoyed visiting your blog, such interesting art!

    ReplyDelete