Sunday, January 6, 2013

30 Day Challenge Day 5: Peach Crisp




Saturday...Day 5.  A very busy day around our house but this particular Saturday, my hubby was off to a model train show.  Somehow having him out from under foot always makes scheduling a little easier.  Ya know what I mean?

I had wanted to paint en plein air with my watercolors but the morning dawned gray and the timing was such that I decided to "pretend" to be en plein air in the dining room instead and combine two needed things.  Baking for the church coffee hour AND Day 5 of the challenge.  

So I assembled the ingredient for the Peach Crisp on the dining room table, gathered my sketch bag and sketch book and borrowed my hubby's stool and spent a lovely hour there.  (9 x 12" on 90 lb. on Strathmore wet media paper)

I once illustrated a cookbook in watercolor as a wedding gift.  It is a totally fun thing to do.  So gathering ingredients into a still life seemed a very natural thing to do!!!  In fact one of my favorite watercolors is the ingredients for Grandma's Nell's Sweet Tomato Condiment.  

Anyway, it was totally fun and I told Sherese later that before she baked her sugar cookies yesterday she should have sketched the ingredients!  (Sherese is in the Challenge too). You will get rave reviews on this Peach Crisp.  It's an old RVer's recipe.   

Ginny's Peach Crisp
9 x 13 pan. Heat oven to 350.
1. Layer 1- 28 oz can of sliced peaches (in heavy syrup) on the bottom of the pan.
2. Sprinkle over this 1 box of yellow or white cake mix (17-18 oz).
3. Chop up one stick of butter or margarine layering the chips all over the top of the cake mix.
4. Sprinkle over the top 1 cup of chopped pecans.

Bake 55 min to 1 hour.  Serves 12-15.  Use serving spoon to scoop out.  Serve plain, warm or cold, with or without whipped topping or vanilla ice cream.  

No comments:

Post a Comment