Thursday, September 6, 2012

Cathedral Point Painting


Every now and then I JUST have to get back to acrylics. I love the feel. I really really need to make some color charts and practice mixing colors.

Cathedral Point is part of the Trout Lake Nature Center in Boulder Junction, WI near the Forest Ranger Station.

Today in such a hurry to get going I forgot a lot of things...I didn't realize I'd taken so many tubes out of my back pack and ended up with a VERY spare and limited palette.

But it was a small canvas and I had primed it with gold paint (something I've enjoyed doing all summer.) I love the little flashes of it that peep out. I walked all around the point after getting there and we had a GREAT turn out of at least 6 or 7 painters in the crisp autumn air (mid 60s). I am getting so I like carrying a hand towel and using that for wiping my brush and getting my water less muddy that way. I also wear a rubber glove on that left hand so I don't end up with paint smeared all over my left hand! That works great too.

I had Greg take my photo with the painting after I got home as I forgot to ask anyone to do it on site. (You can see my impatiens did well this summer!)

Anyway you an see it is small and I remembered to wear my new Outdoor Painters cap. Where is Florie when I need her?

I did "tidy" up the painting a little from this painting to the one above...adding the Prevent Forest Fires printing and fixing some of the trees and adding some darks in the background. It's not signed yet. But it was a fun project and did it in about two hours. (Stopping for my thermos of coffee in between.) I skipped lunch with the artists today due to a sinus cold. After lunch I slept for over an hour. Feeling better now. Putting a nice meat loaf and baked potatoes in the oven.

Rain is headed our way. We want to cozy up and watch the President's acceptance speech tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment