Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Finger Labyrinths


Obviously, from the title of my blog I am a fan of the labyrinth.
My guess is that many of you have walked a labyrinth at one time or another. If not, I encourage you to do so. It is a spiritual experience and very quieting for the soul. These pictured here are FINGER labyrinths. Something I was just exposed to a few years ago when I came upon some in a museum. They are wonderful. These particular ones are for sale. click here. I am not necessarily plugging buying one, but it would be fun to have one. They come in a huge variety of different materials from stone to plastic. You can even print out a free finger labyrinth to use. Go here. As artists I am sure we could dream up a way to create our own finger labyrinths! I could certainly see making one of ceramic or clay! But I'll be one could be made in some multi-media form as well that is very amazing. How's that for a challenge! Walking (or walking with your fingers) among the turnings, one loses track of direction and of the outside world, and thus quiets the mind.

2 comments:

  1. Does this have anything to do with the name of your blog? I had never heard of these before, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I was little you used to have a "thinking stone" at your desk (with your typewriter and carbon copies). It was a polished quartz stone with a small indentation for your thumb and you would rub this in your right hand while you were thinking about something you were going to write. I think the same principle on why you like the labyrinth applied to that stone- a place to be reflective and to push out distractions.

    ReplyDelete