Thursday, August 2, 2012

Joan Stephen's poured painting class...

Joan did a great job teaching in Manitowish Waters, WI at the Wed workshop this week. Thanks so much Joan!!!

Although we had both done a similar workshop in FL in February, it was good to be refreshed again. Joan really has the hang of this method. I struggle.

You can see that after the pour had dried, I went back and lifted off two other flowers from areas I did not particularly like...the orange area behind the double flowers and down in the center of the painting in the greens. (This was not part of Joan's technique. I sort of invented it myself.)

My pour got so evened out that there was not a lot of negative places to work off. I cut out a flower from thin plastic (with a craft knife) making a stencil and then just lifted out color with a soft sponge. Then I added paint in the center area and laid Seran wrap on top of the paint and let it dry a few hours. When you lift it off, you have interesting "impressions" and that gave me something to work on in the area in the center.

Next I think I'll go back in and paint some dark behind the orange flowers. My weakness (among other things) is remembering that when orange and green meet you begin to get brown. Which is fine if you want brown. But not in this painting. So you have to think ahead where you are going to pour. Think ahead? Me? Hahaha.

What I'd like to do next is find another reference and try it again. I am not into floral right now.

Had fun with en plein air this morning with "the north woods outdoor painters" group. No photos taken however. Just did some little sketches.

No comments:

Post a Comment