Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Collage Exercises with Gerald Brommer

The T Design

The Bridge Design

The crucifix design

Gerald Brommer

What a treat to take classes from such an experienced painter as Gerald Brommer!  I've admired his work for years and when I had the chance to at least get in 3 of the 5 days of this workshop I jumped right in.

It's a 40 minute drive up to The Villages for the workshop each morning but I am not sorry I signed up.  Gerald is 88 now and doing his LAST round of teaching before retiring.  I think he is doing one more class in Myrtle Beach and then heading back to CA where he lives.  

He is beginning us with his famous collage techniques by having us dye lovely oriental papers in watercolor to use in various ways.  The first day he is working (obviously) in teaching us the elements of good design by work in abstract elements with only two colors. When Gerald critiqued my work he said the "T" was his favorite one and that is why I put it first on the blog.  He said he would hang that one in his home!  Wow.  What a nice thing to say!  

The work is on 300# wc paper and is only 7.5" square.  We will be graduating to larger pieces this morning.  And he'll be adding more design elements as we go along.  I am sad that I am only able to take the first 3 days but our schedule this week would only allow for that.   More to come.  


No comments:

Post a Comment