Wednesday, March 8, 2017

"Brush Lettering and Watercolor" by Jess Park




I know of at least 3 other people in my immediate art circle who have enrolled in Strathmore's free "Brush Lettering and Watercolor Class" by Jess Park.  It's too soon yet to know how it's going to go.

The first photo is of one of the handouts.  The second is my practice sheets on tracing paper.

The first lesson which was available last Monday was a sleep-inducing video on how to do the strokes on all 26 letters in her technique.  However, the idea is now to use your handouts as models and trace over them to learn how to make them.  This is more fun (but slightly frustrating).  

You really need her exact brush pens I feel.  She has suggested the Tombow Fudenosuke hard or soft or the Pentel Fude Touch.  I have ordered them but of course they haven't come yet.  So I am making do with a Prismacolor Premier black brush pen.  It's not ideal.  But I can sort of get the idea.  I do think Jess should have been specific in her first video if she was using the soft or hard Tombow in her demos.  

At the top where it says "the fundamentals" she shows how the calligraphy looks when done well.  And I do like the look of this font.  The trick is when to use pressure and when to release it.
There are 4 sessions and the next two are about the watercolor end of this.  The 4th combines the lettering and the watercolor.  I think I better practice some more!!! I am going back now and watching her  do one letter at a time and then I do the letter and so forth.  It's a definite learning curve!! 

I tried putting this under my pillow and sleeping on it, but apparently you HAVE to practice




No comments:

Post a Comment