Friday, March 10, 2017

Smashing a Paradigm



Sometimes a book comes along and you are just jaw-dropping amazed by how it touches you.  (Of course you have to like trees.)
But who doesn't like trees?

But this is not about what do with wood or how to grow an orchard or how to identify a pine tree.  Or any of the other "tree related" books you have surely come across.  It is not even why you should take a walk in the woods (although that is a good idea, of course.) 

Peter Wohlleben published this in 2015 but it had not fallen into my life until my daughter Julie mentioned it to me this winter when visiting.  I cannot for the life of me remember what the context was that brought it up.  But after I read the review I was absolutely drawn to get a copy.  And I have to pass my delight on.  


The book jacket says "A powerful reminder to slow down and tune into the language of nature".  But I really feel that is a disservice to the book.  It's much more than that.  Another review says "a paradigm-smashing chronicle of joyous entanglement...".  Now that is more like it.  It's a book that will cause you never to look at a tree in quite the same way again.  

And what is even more especially great is that the author knows how to write in an entertaining and purposeful way.  245 pages...it's not that long but I found myself anxious to read the next chapter.  How could I be my age and not know all that much about trees?  I spend 5 months a year in the northern Wisconsin forest!  

I know it will inspire more tree painting in me too!  

Near the Lake


No comments:

Post a Comment