Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Combining Two Hobbies

This is a sketch I did back in 06 but I thought of it today because we are planning our trip to Florida through West Virginia in hopes of getting to see and ride the Cass Railroad there.

My husband's hobby is trains...all kinds...real ones and model ones.  This sketch was done en plein air at Union Train Museum in Union, Illinois.  Greg was off exploring and I set up my umbrella and stool and painted away.  It was mid-week and not too many other tourists but according to the notes along the side, I met some very interesting people that day!!!  This is an example of two hobbies merging.  If you can manage it, it's very nice.  Everyone is happy!  
It's a rainy day in the north woods of WI today but I had to run errands and didn't make it to the studio yet...I might get there for an hour after dinner.  I need to keep up my challenge work for Donna Zagotta's figure painting.  

I am taking a neat one-day workshop next week from Karen Kappel that is going to be in watercolor with pouring and masking. If you look at Deb Ward's Sept 4 post you will see what I am talking about.  It is something I've been wanting to try for a long time.  Can't wait!     

Just as an aside...here's a wonderful article I just received that talks about the "presentation" of our art work for sale.  I've read a ton of them...but this one really has some nice tips.  

No comments:

Post a Comment