Friday, September 25, 2009

Using silhouettes in paintings

I am borrowing an image from a wonderful painter named Michael Richardson from East Kent, England.  Click on his name to go to his blog which is filled right now with images from his trip to Venice.  Mostly all en plein air, I believe.  

This wonderful example of how the silhouette figures can be included in paintings came through my new friend, Florie Enders, (now recovering from a torn retina!) who read about Michael's trip and saw the images on Wet Canvas.  You can go and see them there too on that link. What a wonderful "find" to see Michael's work and hear about his very wet journey where it rained so much that the ceiling in his room fell down on him!  YIKES!  Anyway, I love how he has reflected his figures in the wet pavement.  So simple and so effective.

  Thank you Florie for sharing this great image and a wonderful painter!  

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting - I visited Michael Richardson's web site - nice! A professor once told me that you should always have something "live" in your paintings - I expect to see all kinds of figures in your paintings from now on:)

    ReplyDelete